Friday, August 14, 2009

I am a Giant employee.

This summer, I got a job. After weeks of searching unsuccessfully, I ended up standing in front of my local Giant store. After going inside, talking with the manager, and finding out when I started, I left the building feeling like a satisfaction sandwich. I got a job. It's not really the job I was looking for. But I still got a job.

I worked outside pushing carts for about a month. I was hired as a cashier, and here I was outside, doing manual labor in hot weather. Not the greatest month. But there were some elements of freedom to it. I found innovative ways to pass the time, like memorizing Bible verses, singing songs under my breath, or texting friends when my employers weren't looking. (I am a super-sneaky-ninja) Eventually, I made my way inside working all of bakery, HBC (health and beauty care), bagging, and any department they needed me to assist. And I learned something very important when I moved inside.

I was alone.

Whether I was working bakery, bagging, or any other position, I felt as if I was the only one who even cared about being there. I saw people who had been working at Giant for twenty-five years, and noticed how they seemed to be apathetic and no longer tried to interact with others. I don't know what it is about working in a grocery store, and especially for so many years, but it just seems to leech the life right out of you. I walked into work every day with a purpose. I was going to be the one to bring life back to Giant Foods.

And then this happened.

http://www.xkcd.com/610/

It made me laugh at first, but then I began to wonder whether everyone felt that way or not. Did people attempt to reach out to others long ago, and get shot down so many times that they've stopped trying and keep their frustration to themselves? I know every time I work in the bakery, I talk to everyone, and try to get to know them. It's the least I can do, plus it makes time go by faster.

I wonder how many people are afraid to reach out to others anymore?

1 comment:

  1. Ha! I saw that xkcd a while back. And I think it's a combination of being scared to reach out (or rather, the rejection), and simply not caring.

    ReplyDelete